1. He (K.K.Tan) is basically a low profile, independent, corporate, social, political & geo-political analyst and crisis management strategist for more than 35 years. It is quite unique to have such combined and diverse knowledge & skills of the multinational corporate (MNC) world with the Malaysian government sector, as he came from both these sectors at the CEO level.
2. In 1981/82, he made history in Britain for being the first overseas student to be elected as the sabbatical (for one year) President of the (British) Students’ Union of a leading red-brick University of Sheffield. Elected by the British students in a landslide victory over other British candidates, the testimonials from VC and Lord Mayor of Sheffield proved his excellent performance as President.
3. From 1988 to 1990, he was the first Malaysian (at age of 34) to be made CEO of a European MNC in Shah Alam to revamp and he turned around the loss-making company.
4. 1991 to 1993, he was appointed (based on merit) to be the first non-Bumiputra CEO (click here to see MTC publication) of a large and newly set up GLC, Malaysian Timber Council (MTC), to manage a RM 350 million timber levy fund to fight the unjust Anti Tropical Timber Campaign in an awakened & environmentally conscious Europe where most of the sawn timber were exported to. He managed to neutralize the boycott by the time of the Rio Earth Summit in June 1992 where he was an advisor to the government.
5. After leaving the MTC for legitimate reasons, he then set up his own management consultancy and think tank firm in 1995 to offer strategic management training and crisis PR services to large corporations. He also wrote some articles on various issues in the local press.
6. As BOTH a top corporate management and political & geo-political analyst (highly unusual), he was a press columnist for The Sun for 10 years from 2008 to 2018 and now with the New Straits Times mostly writing on social issues, environmental protection, cultural heritage, conflicts & wars, geo-politics, racism, cultural extremism and terrorism.
7. You can view his recent press articles by Googling:
- kktan.sundaily - kktan.nst - kktan.sinchew - kktan.astroawani - kktan.malaymail
- kktan@sinarharian (Malay press) - kktan.malaysiakini - kktan.freemalaysiatoday
8. From 2002 to 2008, he was the Strategic Consultant to Microsoft and Bill Gates to help address the biggest threat to Microsoft and Windows operating system at that time - Open Software (such as Linux). In 2003, he published and authored (but under his old consultancy firm’s name as he would always prefer to be low-profile) a best-selling international handbook entitled “The Great Software Debate – Open Free Or Proprietary?” . The then Prime Minister, Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad who was also the Chairman of the IAP of MSC then, wrote a Foreword Message.
Our FC is the real author of this best - selling international handbook published in 2003, entitled “The Great Software Debate – Open, Free or Propriety” which was well reviewed: https://www.amazon.com/Great-Software-Debate-Open-Proprietary/dp/9832723000
9. From 2013 to 2016, his think tank firm (Jukenworld) was the representative in Malaysia of the world’s largest business intelligence and risk analysis think-tank, the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), headquartered in London and New York.
10. He is the Founder & CEO of respected “social enterprise” (society first before profits) called Asian Heritage Museum Sdn Bhd (AHM) incorporated in 2012. An entity within his AHM group, legally secured a large & diverse collection of about 2,000 pieces of authentic and museum-quality Asian, Colonial, Geological and Old currency artefacts, via a Kuala Lumpur High Court Order for public auction in 2010, as the judgement creditor to a foreign explorer who had absconded.
11. The plans are for the AHM Group to put these great artefacts to good social use by developing, setting up, managing and operating a unique, world class, interactive and multimedia museum (called International Peace, Environment & Cultural Heritage or Ipech Museum) in Kuala Lumpur to promote sustainable peace, multi-cultural diversity & harmony, heritage and environment.
12. Under his management and leadership, AHM took over 30-acre premier historical site Carcosa Seri Negara (CSN) from April 2017 for a three-year tenancy. CSN was built in 1897 by the first British High Commissioner, Sir Frank Swettenham and used as the official residence. CSN was the site where much of the country’s Constitution was drafted from 1956 to 1957 and where the nine Rulers signed the Merdeka (Independence) Agreement with the British’s representative on 5 August 1957. It was also used as the official guest palace of the first King from 1957 to 1960 and the 2nd King passed away there and was lying in state there in 1960. AHM was responsible for allowing the shooting (and the subsequent success) of the Hollywood blockbuster “Crazy Rich Asians” where more than 60 percent of the film was shot at the two colonial mansions at CSN.
From June 2017, AHM organized, with the collaboration of five related government agencies and sponsorship of the corporate sector, the “Jalan Merdeka” (JM) exhibition, a most comprehensive account on the struggle of the people from the various ethnic background for Merdeka (Independence) in 1957. JM was launched by the Ruler of Negri Sembilan on 31 August 2017 and had been well received by many VVIPs (including the Sultan of Perak), media, NGOs, educational institutions, foreign missions and the general public.
13. In February 2020, he set up the non-profit think tank unit called Covid Research Centre (CRC) at his office in Kuala Lumpur to undertake research & analysis on important issues related to Covid-19 and the pandemic. The reports and press statements by CRC, which has many top experts working under it, has been well received by many people and is considered ahead of the time. Due to CRC’s good database (library), networking, international links, sharp analysis & accurate predictions, it is considered by some as a world-class research centre on Covid related issues.
Testimonials of KK Tan
by Lord Mayor of Sheffield, VC & Registrar of Sheffield University
Our FC was the former CEO of the Malaysian Timber Council, Ministry of Primary Industries, Government of Malaysia
Copyright © 2023 IPECH Museum - All Rights Reserved.